Sunday 9 November 2014

Repairs and livelihoods

                        Repairs and livelihoods

A good example of the way repairs and livelihoods work is what happens at Archway station on the London underground. Apparently the block above needs substantial renovations and the scaffolding is going up everywhere. However this time I was witness to an argument that ensued as scaffolding was put up and the entrance to a shop was closed up.
The owner was remonstrating with the contractors. He had a business to run and that was his livelihood. All the workers were waiting round like vultures on the every word spoken
“Look if you put scaffolding up here I will take it down myself”
“Yes sir I understand but you have to observe the safety of your customers"
At that stage I took my camera out.
“So you are going to take pictures of us” one of the workers called to me
“I will take picture wherever I like” I replied. No reply was forthcoming and I continued to my engagement

The next day I spoke to the owner. There was scaffolding above but his place was secure. In this there was the conflict. I spoke to him about it and he just told me that the scaffolding was not for the station but for a block of flats nearby.
This encapsulates one of the problems for small business in this country. Decisions are taken for big projects without any regard who is affected by this. The people who enforce these are faceless bureaucrats. And people are affected by their decisions. In the end justice prevailed and the small café owner was able to keep his places but at no time was he offered any compensation for the effect it would have on his business
           


No comments:

Post a Comment